Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The best things in life are free- Paint Chip coasters, cards, & Christmas decor

Let me just say that I'm a sucker for anything free.


Turn me loose in Sam's on a Saturday morning and those sample booths will have me fed for the week.

Once I got a bottle of Ojon (shampoo specially formulized for African-Americans to combat nappy roots) just because I recieved a coupon in the mail (and used it).

And don't get me started on the "free" section of Craigslist. I don't care if I'll never use a mini-Vuvuzela.. if they're giving it away, I'll take it.


So when I discovered the art of crafting with paint chips, i was hooked. Not only are they uuber cute and colorful, by gosh, they're free. Yes and amen.

Fast forward a few months, and I'm pretty sure I'm on the watch list of Wal-mart's paint department. Decorations, cards, gifts.. It's gotten a little out of hand. That SBoM was making fun of me for this obsession the other day, so do you know what he's getting for Christmas? That's right, paint chips (I'm only half kidding.. be on the lookout for that post sometime soon). One of my bigger undertakings is a gift for one the most amazing families I've ever known who I babysat for in Searcy. That one will be a post in itself as well, but here's a sneak peak:


 Stay tuned!









My latest P.C. project was an upcylce of some old drink coasters. I was inspired by this but I needed to use what I had laying around, so the finished product looked more like this:



Here's my version:

Paint Chip Coasters


I had some beat-up, drink-stained Christmas coasters stuffed into a box of decorations from last year that needed a new life, so they became my base. But you could use any sturdy cardstock, cardboard, or cork.


These were made out of thin cardboard.
The supply list wasn't extensive, either. Just some Modge Podge, a glue stick, the coaster bases, and whatever combination of paint chips your little heart desires. My personal fave are the ones only available at Wal Mart because they're long, have great colors, and come in about bajillion and three varieties.

First, slather your coaster base in a generous amount of glue from the glue stick. Be sure to get every little nook and cranny.


I went for the "less is more" look.

Easy as 1-2-3


Next, trim up the edges to match the coaster base.


Then apply a thick, even coat of Modge Podge on the top and sides.


Be sure to get the sides really well so that the paint chips adhere completely.


Repeat as many times as you have coasters and let them dry completely until no stickiness is left.



And you're done!



Now all that's left is to put them to work. My favorite way to do that is with a concoction I made up on a whim recently called a Strawberry Wine Spritzer. Mix your favorite sweet wine with some strawberry flavored carbonated water and half a "to-go" packet of strawberry flavored Crystal Light. Yum!








But the craze doesn't end there. These guys are so perfect for Christmas cards and tags like these:








And a lot of them have Holiday-themed names that add extra flair:


"Polar Bear" and "Sugar Plum"


"Happy Holiday"



"Jolly Holly" and "Christmas Red"

"Warm Gingerbread", "Cinnamon Stick", and "Cinnamon Spice"


And they make great quick, colorful ornaments/wreaths/etc.






You may see me at an addicts anonymous meeting soon, but for now I'm perfectly happy with this little obsession... as is my wallet. You can't get much better than free.


Speaking of free..

There's been a lot on my heart and mind lately, and so much of it makes me think, why in the world would the Lord still forgive me for all of this? I have done so much to hurt His heart (for real, y'all.. it's been a mess), and I still don't have it all together in the least.


Last night when I was talking whining to God, the Holy Spirit hit me hard with the fact that if  I spent half  the time in the Word as I do on Pinterest my life would look a lot different.

Ouch.

But the Truth isn't always comfortable or easy to hear.. And I know that that Truth brings no condemnation. So as the lies flood in about how awful I am and how far from grace I must be falling, the word free begins to grown in meaning, because in Chirst I have recieved so much for free:

Free grace

Free love

Free forgiveness

Free acceptance

Free-dom from condemnation

Free

Free

Free

I am free. Wow. I don't know what that does for you, but my heart can't get enough of that. Jimmy Needham sings many songs addressing this blessed fact, one being "Forgiven & Loved." Part of the chorus is,

"When He died He died to rectify my hopeless situation,
And His blood commands my guilt to flee.
So on calvary I stand, empty pockets, open hands,
Because there is no condemnation for me."

And at the very end he just repeats,
"Child you're forgiven and loved."

Wow. Gets me every time. Enjoy :)




 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I can't keep from smiling...first from the sight of these amazing coasters and second from your thoughts on our amazing GOD! How creative you are and how UNLIMITED is our God...awesome post. =)
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! You have no idea how much your encouragement means to me. I appreciate it more than you know :)

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete